Carmarthen Quins
2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Quins 15 v 14 Llandovery
19 April 2014 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Match Report

Carmarthen Quins 15 Llandovery 14


The Quins secured their 17th League win and a place in the play off's. The final score is a little misleading, as the Drovers scored 7 points after 11 mins of injury time and the referee still played 4 mins more!

The early play came from the visitors, but the Quins defence was well up to this pressure and kept their line intact. After 8 minutes the Quins won possession in their own half and with six of their forwards handling the ball play was taken up to the visitors line and only desperate defence kept them out. After 10 minutes the Quins ability to counter attack came into play and from deep in their own half, Lee Williams and James Davies combined to take play up to the Llandovery line, and once again Rhys Williams showed his strength and skill to power over in the Gas works corner. The conversion sailed wide.

The Drovers won a set piece near the home line and Shawn Miles was able to scramble over for a try. Ian Brooks added the conversion, to give Llandovery the lead 7 - 5. The game was entertaining and worthy of the Premier Division with both sides willing and wanting to play open Rugby

On 31 minutes a desperate kick out of defence by the visitors was gathered by Jason Harries near the left touch line and when he saw a space on the right, he put in an accurate cross kick behind the visitors defence and the ever alert Chris Banfield was quick to follow up and his pace did the rest, he picked up and made 30 meters to go over near the posts. Craig Evans regained the lead with the kick.

 And the sides changed ends with Quins ahead 12 - 7.

The Quins set piece had countered the Drovers ploy and were getting on top giving half backs Huw Rees and Craig Evans the opportunity to use the wind to gain ground.

Iolo Evans broke a tackle and made ground up to the visitors 22 and with men either side of him saw his pass intercepted and the certain score was denied.

Another penalty after 64 mins enabled Craig Evans to give the Quins a two score lead and in doing so he passed the 1,000 points mark in the Premiership.

James Davies was shown a red card on 72 minutes for foul play and on 92 minutes following a scuffle in midfield a Landovery’s Gareth Rees was also red carded whilst Haydn Pugh received a yellow.

Despite finishing the game with 13 men the Quins backs were always solid in defence so the Quins had the upper hand but amazingly the refer allowed some 12 minutes of extra time and the catch up rugby game forced on the visitors paid of, and Lee Evans scored a try which he converted himself

Another 3 minutes were added before the referee called a halt and the Quins had taken the points to put them in the play off's.

This crowns a very good season and takes them to Aberavon next Saturday where a win will see them have a home draw for the play off.

Haydn Pugh came through the game unscathed and will play for the Barbarians in Dublin on Wednesday, his 3rd appearance for them

Attendance: 400

Official : Neil Hennessy (Wales)

Quins Llandovery