Carmarthen Quins
2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Quins 44 v 10 Newport
13 September 2014 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Quins v Newport



Carmarthen Quins RFC 44 Newport RFC 10


Having lost the previous two home league battles with the Black and Ambers in injury time, the home camp were determined to stop this hoodoo, and stop it they did by five tries to one.

Making three changes from the Drovers victory, the game plan was the same. Power and pace were used to serve up a promising start to this seasons League campaign.

Again the playing conditions were near perfect with both sides wanting to play open Rugby from the whistle.

Dan Jones continues his learning curve with his deft and accurate kicking out of hand and he was always dangerous when in possession. So much so that he was able to put over an 8th min penalty to open the scoring. As in most games the first 20 minutes see's the packs test each other. The Quins eight had the early edge in both scrum and line out and as the game progressed stamped their authority in most area's.

The Newport defence was kept at full stretch for most of the first half and eventually cracked in the second half. Dan Jones added a second penalty, and minutes later Rhys Williams made a telling break taking play into the visitors 22. After slick handling Rhodri Clancy was able to power over for the games opening try.Dan Jones added the points. Close to half time Dan Jones put over his third penalty to give the Quins a three score advantage.

Jamie Murphy pulled three points back for Newport early in the second half, but the Quins were soon back on the attack and play was camped in the Newport 22. The ever improving Javan Sebastian was up with play to take a difficult pass to power over for the Quins second try for Jones to convert.

A Newport attack was halted just inside the Quins half and the quick thinking of Chris Banfield saw him pick up and race a full 60 yards to score under the posts, Dan Jones again added the conversion. With a bonus point up for grabs, the Quins continued to look dangerous from everywhere and with backs and forwards handling, it was fitting that Chris Banfield was on the end of a passing bout to cross for the bonus point try. Craig Evans added the conversion.

The Newport side were not laying down and after a nice break from their own half Julian Mogg was able to cross for a well taken try. Jamie Murphy converted.

The Quins were not content to rest on their laurels and more open play gave wing Gavin Thomas the chance to chip ahead and win the race for the touch down. Craig Evans added his second conversion. The game ended with the Quins comfortably in control and eagerly awaiting the next clash away at Bridgend.

The games five points pleased the Quins support and this victory puts them on top of the Premier Division.

Jeavon Sebastian took the Forward of the match award and Dan Jones the Back of the match.


Match Report by Alan Bowen

Attendance: 300

Official : Daniel Jones (Wales)

Quins Newport