2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 29 v 44 Quins
04 October 2014 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Quins v Bedwas

Carmarthen Quins maintained their excellent start in the Principality Premiership with a bonus-point-win at the Bridge Field – but it will be a game remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Quins scored five tries courtesy of a brace from full-back Dion Jones, along with efforts from replacements Rhys Williams and Will Boyde, while outside half Craig Evans also went over in farcical circumstances.

Bedwas, who had earlier stunned their visitors with two tries inside the opening three minutes, secured a try-scoring bonus point thanks to Rory Budina’s double and efforts from Mathew John and Rhys Hutcherson.

But in truth, the main talking point was the performance of referee Andrew Davies, who appeared to lose control of proceedings and spoiled a potential classic.

Bedwas got off to the perfect start inside the first minute with the try in the right corner when Jack Maynard and Harley Thompson combined well to release Budina to go over, with Maynard converting.

Then, with the visitors barely having chance to draw breath, the hosts were soon going over again in a move started and finished by John – following a lovely interchange of passes with James Sawyer to leave the Quins stunned. Maynard duly took care of the extras again to make it 14-0.

However, Carmarthen kept their heads and hit back in the eighth minute with Jones breaking from the back of the ruck to go over, Evans converting to pull it back to 14-7 after a breathtaking opening.

Maynard booted a 30-metre penalty on 26 minutes to extend the home lead to 17-7 but the remainder of the first half was spoiled by some fussy and inconsistent officiating, with the home side in particular feeling hard done by with some of the decisions.

The latter stages of the first half were dominated by the visitors and after Evans had booted his side’s first penalty of the match on 38 minutes, the Quins' pressure finally paid with Jones going over for his side’s second try deep into added time – of which there were nine minutes. Evans took care of the extras to level it up at half time.

The visitors got themselves ahead just after the re-start in yet more farcical circumstances with their third try. As the visitors poured forward, the ball appeared to bounce off Evans’ knee but the try was given. Evans converted to put the visitors 24-17 ahead.

But back came Bedwas, with Budina scoring a marvellous individual effort, receiving the ball and showing a couple of attempted tacklers a clean pair of heels to storm home from 35 metres. Maynard was wide with the conversion attempt to leave his side two points behind.

Evans kicked his second penalty in front of the posts on 57 minutes to open up a five-point advantage, before replacement Williams went over for the fourth try to secure the bonus point on 67 minutes, which was converted by replacement outside Dan Jones to make it 34-22.

Dan Jones then added another penalty on 71 minutes, before Boyde – also on off the bench rounded things off with Jones once again taking care of the extras.

Bedwas did at least secure a losing bonus with their fourth try – scored by replacement Hutcherson – in the sixth minute of added time, with Maynard converting to bring to an end to a controversial match.

Bedwas: Tries:R Budina 1, 49, M John 3, R Hutcherson 80+6; Cons: J Maynard 2, 4, 80+6; Pens:J Maynard 26.

Carmarthen Quins: Tries: D Jones 8, 40+7, C Evans 42, R Williams 67, W Boyde 76 Cons: C Evans 9, 40+8, 43, D Jones 68, 77; Pens: C Evans 38, 57, D Jones 71

Attendance: 350

Official : Andrew Davies (Wales)

Bedwas Quins