Carmarthen Quins
2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Quins 24 v 28 Bedwas
05 September 2015 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Quins v Bedwas

Carmarthen Quins 24    Bedwas RFC 28


It was a pity that the quality of the play didn't match the standard of the Park pitch which was quite magnificent.

The lack of match practice was evident and the Quins were made to pay for their inability to hold on to the ball after regularly winning enough possession to take the honours. The new experimental scoring system had its desired effect as both sides elected to go for touch when a shot at the posts would have been last season’s choice.


In perfect playing conditions the Quins were soon on the attack but lost control of the ball which enabled the visitors to counter attack resulting in lock Matthew Screech being driven over for the opening score, Richard Powell added the conversion.


The home side were quick to respond from a powerful surge up field, new number eight Josh Middleton was on hand to go over and Craig Evans levelled the scores with the conversion.


More Quins pressure saw Kieran Hardy move to the left near the half way and a quick change of direction fooled the Bedwas cover and he handed on to his centres to see Iolo Evans draw the full back and link with Hardy who outpaced the defence to cross for a well worked try.

Craig Evans converted to put the Quins 16-8 ahead.


On the half hour, the Quins were penalised under their own posts, giving Richard Powell the opportunity to take the two points on offer.


With the last move of the opening half Bedwas were gifted the ball once again they made ground into the Vicarage corner for George Lee to go over for a try. Powell missed the kick making the interval score 16 points all.


More kicks to touch from the Quins when they could have gone for goal signalled their intension to entertain which in the end proved costly. Indifferent line out play also gave Bedwas the chance to gain ground, and half way through the half, another Quins mistake gave the visitors wing George Glasson the chance to race up to the Quins line where he dived over near the corner. Chris Banfield had attempted a cover tackle on the Bedwas wing which saw the referee award a penalty try for an alleged high tackle and with it the eight points under the new system. No conversion was required and Bedwas went into a ten point lead


The Quins deserved better, but their scrappy play gave them a mountain to climb for the remaining 15 minutes.

With just five minutes on the clock the Quins powered up on the visitors line and slick passing gave the dependable Rhys Williams the chance to find a gap to cross for a try for Craig Evans to convert and gain a deserved bonus point.



Elllis Lloyd, Josh Middleton Ben Thompson and Josh Helps all acquitted themselves well and the Quins backs looked dangerous but the mistakes made, proved too costly. Lessons would have been learned and more work in some areas will be the coaches aim this week in order for this young squad to begin reaching their potential ahead of the Neath fixture next Saturday at the Park.






Attendance: 300

Official : Richard Brace (Wales)

Quins Bedwas