Carmarthen Quins
2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Quins 40 v 22 Neath
12 September 2015 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Quins v Neath

Carmarthen Quins 40 Neath 22


Having taken the honours in the last four meetings and with the players wanting to redeem themselves after a poor display in their opening league match last Saturday, the match had a lot to offer. The elements were to be a factor, so winning the boss was going to be vital, and so it proved. Skipper Ian Jones called it right and gave the visitors first use of this wind.

In the eighth minute Neath drove play deep into the Quins 22 and Tom James found a gap to crash over for the opening score near the posts. Joel Matevesi converted.

A short while later play was again taken into the Carmarthen 22 and this time the Neath took a shot at the posts with Matevesi taking his side into double figures.

The Quins were keen to move the ball and play was taken deep into Neath territory. However a scrappy lineout was lost and a chance missed.

The hosts kept up the pressure making the visitors defend desperately, the Neath backs were caught offside, and quick thinking by Craig Evans caught the cover defence by surprise and Iolo Evans was on his shoulder to cross under the posts . Craig Evans added the points to make the score 10-8.

Neath continued to use the elements but the Quins organised defence kept the scoreboard quiet. With the first period drawing to a close, a Quins counter attack took play into the Neath half and they won a penalty for Evans to level matters with the kick.

Minutes into added time slick visitors passing saw wing Ashley Evans cross in the corner giving the visitors an interval lead of 16-10

From the restart Carmarthen went on the offensive and in the 43rd minute Neath's attempt to kick out of defence was charged down for Iolo Evans to gather and race over for a try. Craig Evans took the Quins into the lead with the conversion.

The Quins were now playing with confidence and powered up-field for Connor Lloyd to slip an accurate pass to Chris Banfield to waltz over under the posts. Evans converted, giving the Quins a ten point buffer.

An attempt by Neath to run out of defence, was thwarted by a smother tackle and from a loose ball Connor Lloyd picked up to make the 20 yards to cross for a well taken score and in doing so earned a bonus point for his team.

Crag Evans had an influential game at outside half and was able to use his experience to use the touch line to good effect. After a good take at a line out, centre Morgan Griffiths was able to power over for the Quins fifth try, Evans converted and the game was effectively over.

However all credit to the Neath side who continued to play enterprising rugby and were rewarded when captain Jordan Collier raced over in the corner for a consolation score.

The Quins can look forward to the visit of Aberavon on Saturday with renewed confidence for what promises to be a closely fought contest.

Report by Alan Bowen

Attendance: 351

Official : Gareth John (Wales)

Quins Neath