Carmarthen Quins
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Quins 10 v 6 Swansea
16 September 2017 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Match Report Carmarthen Quins 10 - Swansea 6

Carmarthen Quins  10 - Swansea  6

For their opening Home League match of the season the Quins made six changes from the Aberavon game, three of their backs were having their first run out at the Park.  A heavy down pour prior to the kick off put pay to chances of this being an open affair and set the scene for a dour forward battle so both teams defences would be kept at full stretch.


Swansea had a second minute chance to get on the score board with a penalty but missed, seeing the Quins respond with a series of forward power plays, taking them deep into the Whites half  but the conditions led to mistakes and  the Swansea defence held.  Mid way through the half the visitors were awarded a penalty just inside the Quins half and Owen Howe was on target. Again the Quins were quick to reply and took play up to the visitors line but the slippery conditions and sound Swansea tackling kept them out.


Tom Williams used all of his soccer skills to make ground up to the Whites line only to see him knock on and the ball slide over the dead ball line and a chance was missed. Miserable playing conditions were frustrating the players and the  sides changed  end with the visitors hanging on to this flimsy three point lead.

The interval team talk was to prove useful as the Quins pack stepped up a gear and took control of both line out set piece. The second row pairing of Tom Price and Josh Helps were supreme in the line out and the front row of Javan Sebastion, Rhod Clancey and Nathan Williams were too powerful for the opposite numbers, giving little opportunities for the Swansea side to gain or mount any threat. Despite the conditions the Quins were able to keep play in the visitors half  for long periods and only desperate defence kept them out.


In the 43rd minute Swansea were awarded a penalty two yards inside the Quins half and Owen Howe hit the upright and staid out, allowing the Quins to clear only to be penalised almost in the same spot as their miss seconds earlier. This time Howe was on target to increase the Swansea lead. The Quins were again quick to reply and tore back into the visitors 22 and were camped on the Whites line, and from more of their pressure, they gained a scrum, 5 yards out. A quick strike and their customary power play gave the referee no option but to award a penalty try to take the Quins into a deserved lead. Ten minutes later more Quins pressure was rewarded when Aled Thomas slotted over a 35 yard penalty, increasing the Quins lead. The front row was change but the Quins scrum still had the edge giving the visitors no respite 

Powerful ground gaining charges by Morgan Griffiths and Nick Reynolds almost lead to scores but to be fair the Swansea defence was able cope and with play deep in  the Vicarage corner, the  final whistle gave the Quins  the League points and a deserved victory.


The Park stood up to the heavy rain and the team now look forward to next Saturday when they play Host to Bridgend in the Park

The Forward and Back awards were won by Lee Taylor and Aled Davies both making their debuts at the Park.  

Attendance: 300

Official : Rhys Thomas (Wales)

Quins Swansea