Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
RGC 1404 20 v 20 Quins
17 February 2018 - Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Quins earn outstanding draw t in North Wales

The Quins made six changes from the Llanelli game and yet again they put in a game performance indicating that they have a confident squad.

The honours were even between two sides challenging for the top spot, and once again a credit to the Premier Division.

The Quins had the edge in the set pieces and after Botica had narrowly missed with an early penalty, up stepped Steffan Marshall to give the Quins a 13th minute lead with the opening penalty.

Both sides tried to move the ball but it took nearly half an hour before the home side managed to find a gap for Tom Hughes to crash over and Botica to add the conversion.

This spurred the Quins into putting in some adventurous play and after a powerful surge by their pack Richard Bloomfield was credited with the score for Steff Marshall to convert and retake the lead.

The home side after a clever handling bout missed  a chance to score when Botica fluffed a chance with the line at his mercy. Former Quins player Iolo Evans regained the lead for the home side with a well taken try close to the interval but Botica missed again with the conversion. The second half opened with Quins settling to something like their old form and Dylan Morgan was able to use his skill and power to slice through a desperate home defence to touch down for Steff Marshall to add the points and the lead once again.

The home side had a purple patch and this gave another former Quins player Dion Jones  to find a gap to cross for a well taken try  Botica rattled the upright  with a missed conversion but the scores were now level.

A hectic few minutes for both sides followed, but defences were up to all asked of them . On the 65th minute Botica made up for his previous misses and regained the lead for the home side with a well struck penalty Haydn Pugh rallied his team and the last few minutes saw the Quins pile on the pressure and justice was met when Steffan Marshall rifled over 78 minute penalty to level matter once again.

The final whistle signalled two points for either side and was a fair reflection on an often brilliant match. Any match when the lead changed hands six times gave the supporters of both side every confidence for the remainder of the season.

Next Saturday the Quins take on Bargoed at the Park with a 11.30 am Kick Off, so come along and watch the boys and enjoy Wales play later at the Club.

Official : Elgan Williams (Wales)

RGC 1404 Quins