Carmarthen Quins
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Quins 36 v 33 Newport
14 April 2018 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Quins and Newport serve up a ten-try thriller

Quins  36    Newport  33

In excellent conditions that were ideal for the Quins style of play, they turned in an impressive performance, and without taking nothing away from the Newport effort, the five points were well deserved.

Making seven changes from the Bridgend game and Dylan Morgan playing his 100th game for the Quins, the Squad are improving as the season goes on with plenty of game time to all players. The game was once again a credit to the Premiership and adds promise to everything expected from their respective regions.

Sunny Carmarthen Park was soon set alight when the Quins went for the touch line after a penalty, and from a clean catch the drive saw Elis Lloyd pick up and crash over, Thomas kick hit the upright and stayed out.

They kept up this pressure and after a  fine passing bout Josh Batcup slipped past several defenders to cross under the post only to see the referee deem the pass to him was forward.

The next ten minutes saw the Quins fall guilty of their own enterprise and when running the ball out of their own 22, a flat pass was intercepted by Chay Smith to make 20 yards to touch down under the posts for Mat O'Brien to convert and put the visitors ahead, but this was short lived as Aled Thomas regain the lead with a 35 yard penalty after 27 minutes.

Almost from the restart another Quins attack was intercepted for Haydn Palmer to go over for a try on the hour mark that saw the lead change for the third time.

The restart was fumbled by the visitors and from the line out the Quins drive gave Rhod Clancy the opening to squeeze over to regain the lead with Aled Thomas making no mistake with the conversion after 31 minutes.

A yellow card for a dangerous tackle signalled the Quins taking full advantage and after a move that made fully sixty yards, Nick Reynolds was put clear to cross near the posts, Aled Thomas converted.

The Quins were winning the lineout battle and this gave their slick handling by several players see Lee Taylor on the end of a 50 yard move  for the games best score. Aled Thomas made the interval score 29-12 to the home side with the bonus point in the bag.

The half started with the Quins in confident mood and Josh Batcup made up for his first half disappointment with a fine try after 46 minutes for Aled Thomas to add the points.

On reflection this is when Quins took their foot off the pedal and with the Newport side being forced into playing catch up rugby, some enterprising play from them made an impact and midway through the half Alex Everett raced through for his sides third try for O'Brien to convert.

After 67 minutes Haydn Simmonds was able to cross for Newport’s bonus point score, to take his side to within ten points and a slender chance of winning.

With the game into six minutes of added time Joe Bartlett broke clear to touch down for O'Brien to convert but it was too little too late and the Quins took the five points to stay in second place.

This was the third time this season that the Quins have secured a bonus point in the opening half.

With a match that had 10 tries, no supporter to can argue regarding the entertaining afternoon, and the quality that The Premiership has on offer. Perhaps the WRU has been a little hasty in not appreciating the value this division has, week in week out.

Next weekend, the side travel to Merthyr and this will see how much the squad has progressed.

Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

Quins Newport