Aberavon Match Report

By Steve Jenkins | 12/11/2017

Quins   21     Aberavon  14
Both sides were obliged to change their line ups due to the calls of their Regions. 6 Players from both Clubs were called on to represent their Regional side, the Scarlets and the Ospreys, so the only people that were fully satisfied were the WRU. 
Despite this both teams gave their all and entertained their supporters. The Quins made 8 changes from the Neath line up and began strongly and play was concentrated in the Wizards 22 for the opening ten minutes with the ball being moved from left to right with literally all the Quins players being involved. This meant that the visitors defense was kept at full stretch and it was the boot that rescued things when Steffan Marshall put over an 8th minute penalty from 35 yards. With defenses getting the better of things in most matches these days, finding holes is a real problem, but both sides strived to make headway.
Aberavon were finding it difficult to match the Quins in attacking ideas. The Wizards missed a penalty chance after  several penalties had been awarded to them due to the Quins frustration in broken play. Aled Thomas was his usual safe self under the high ball and no real danger was put to the Quins' competent defence, Ifan Beynon-Thomas at scrum half is improving with every appearance and kept the Wizards back row on their toes throughout.

The Quins pack were able to control their possession and their rolling maul play gained them valuable ground on many occasions. with play creeping into first half injury time, their pressure paid off from a well controlled maul, Ifan Beynon-Thomas picked up and his classy dummy fooled the Wizards cover defense and he made 20 yards to cross for a brilliant try, the narrowly missed conversion signaled the end of the half with the home side leading by 8 points.

An early Quins penalty sailed inches wide and this was causing the home support  some doubts, but Nick Reynolds restored some confidence with clever penetrating bursts and after 47 minutes Aled Thomas increased the Quins lead with a 25 yard penalty. With the ship now steady, a  period of Quins pressure, a threatening move saw Josh Bacup weave a way through to go over under the posts for Aled Thomas to convert. More Quins control kept play in the visitors half to give Aled Thomas another chance to increase the Quins lead with his second penalty and what should have been a comfortable position, however the Wizards had other ideas and midway through the half, their catch up play gave wing Shaun Pearce go over in the corner,for replacement James Garland  to convert from the touch line.
The Quins then went through a period of aimless play and loss of concentration and after a Quins 45 yard penalty miss, the visitors were beginning to pose a threat from their catch style of play and when the Quins were reduced to 13 men due to technical yellow card offences, the visitors spirited play saw lock Ben Jones go over wide out for Garland to yet again find the target and a three score lead was now reduce to just the one.
Thankfully the Quins resumed normality and concentration to see the game out, and with this the league points which keeps them in third place and  maintain their home unbeaten record. Both sides can feel happy with the new comers and the progress being made.

Next week end fixture is away to Swansea at St Helens on Friday night with a 7.15p.m.kick off    

Latest News

Sponsorship / Advertising 2016 - 2017