Great win for Quins at home to Aberavon

By Ian Golden | 03/02/2018

Playing on the Park was like playing on a Bowling Green compared with the quagmire at last week's match at Ponrtypool. The Quins made five changes from the previous match and fielded their youngest ever senior side due to the call on players from the Scarlets.

They started the match at an unbelievable pace and the opening five minutes saw them encamped near the Wizards line and moved the ball from left to right, and only desperate defending kept them out. Torrin Myhill made a clever break that took him close to the line only to be halted and from the following passing bout Richard Bloomfield was denied a try by the lines man flag.

After containing this early storm, the visitors had a chance to take the lead but missed a 25 metre penalty after 14 minutes. Dale Ford intercepted a dangerous Wizards raid and saved the day. Play had steadied from the breakneck start and Nick Reynolds was able to make a half break and his chip ahead took play deep into the visitors 22. Another try was denied the Quins when a final pass was deemed forward.

From this pressure something had to happen and after 30 minutes the ball was moved left through several pairs of hands and the ever alert Aaron Hemmings was able to crash over in the corner. The conversion narrowly sailed wide.

With the interval looming the visitors broke up  a Quins attack and they mounted a counter attack which gave Steff Andrews the chance to find a gap to score a well take try against the run of play for Steff Williams to convert.

The visitors again broke up a Quins raid and the clearance kick up field was followed up by Andrews to touch down in the corner, the missed conversion signalled the end of the half.

The Wizards increased their lead with a Steff Williams penalty minutes into the second half, and this caused the home support to feel a little anxious, but the home side then showed a maturity beyond their years and settled to win the ball and keep it approach. Their patience paid off when after a controlled maul they secured a foothold in the Aberavon 22 when a powerful forward surge took play near the line a clever footwork from Dale Ford gave him the chance to pounce and touch down for Jac Wilson to convert bringing the Quins to within three points. 

Jac Wilson made good use of the touch line and after 48 minutes he put the sides level with a 35 metre penalty.

This revived Quins performance  was let down with some mistimed passing and chances were missed, after 69 minutes Jac Wilson restored the Quins lead with a 30 metre penalty, Haydn Pugh installed some clear thinking into the Quins game and good line out and strong scrimmaging kept play in the visitors half for the remaining ten minutes, and once again it was Wilson who put the finishing touch with a 35 metre penalty to gain the Quins a well deserved victory after the experience of the Cup defeat.

The Quins once again easily won the scrumage battle and the line duel was won by Haydn Pugh and Lee Taylor. The Quins back row of Elis Lloyd and Lewys Millen denied the Wizards much room to cash in on the limited possession they managed to win. Dale Ford took the back of the match award and young Kemsley Mathias the forward award.

Next Saturday they travel to Parc y Scarlets to take on Llanelli with a 2pm kick Off. The Wales Under 20 squad who had a bonus point victory over Scotland had four Quins players in their ranks.

Latest News

Scarlets Updates