A Step Back in Time Quins v Gowerton (Away) 3rd Round WWRU Cup

Sat’ 5th February 1988

Third Round of the WWRU Cup

Gowerton 6 pts – Carmarthen Quins 32 pts.
(By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal)


This was an important match for both sides. Gowerton were trying to get out of the relegations zone with the Quins pressing for promotion. The all round strength of the Quins team carried the day and increases the points difference at the top of Section `B.

The Quins had the benefit of the strong wind in the opening half and went straight on the offensive. Simon Rogers made a blind side break from the scrum on the home 22 and was grounded inches short of the line. Early pressure was bound to tell and when the Quins moved the ball left to Colin James, his powerful run took him up to the line and his pass back inside found Phillip Lake-Williams up to gather and drive over for a try.

Minutes later, the Quins forwards won good ball and Colin James was again put away inside his own half. He neatly chipped the corner defence, and his controlled dribble took play up to the home line. Mike James was at his shoulder to touch down. Simon Rogers converted from the touch-line.

It was Rogers again who caused the home defence to panic and he gained fully 50 yards with a jinking run only to be stopped feet short of the line. The Quins pack were quickly on the spot and wing forward Euros Davies came away from the resultant maul and crashed over for a try.

The Quins pack were winning useful ball from both the loose and the tight and on the half hour. Richard Ratti once main came clear from a maul. He then handed over to Nigel Morris who used his speed and strength to cover the 50 yards from the half way to go over.

After the break, the Quins pack continued controlling most of the tight situations and from a ruck on the 22, Richard Ratti broke clear to dash over with a powerful run. Richard Ratti was having a fine game and he celebrated his birthday with his second try when he picked up from ten yards and used his strength to go over for a try.

From a breakdown in the Gowerton defence, Simon Rogers picked up and stretched the Gowerton defence before putting winger Nigel Langdon away to score in the corner. Phil Lake-Williams converted from the touchline. The remaining 15 minutes were spent in the Gowerton half and only over-eagerness by the Quins prevented further scores.

The two points keep the Quins in the hunt for promotion. There are only three points covering the top three teams who have to play each other, so the top spot is still in doubt.