A Step Back in Time Quins v Loughor Home

(By Percy Jones)

SEASON 1986 -87

Team photographs for the 1986/87 season can be found in the main part of your match programme.

tkoger (Cecil) Rees would have been confident of success with the squad of players at his disposal for the 86/87 season but again, as in previous years, this was not to be. A lack of continuity in selection did nothing to help as many league games were lost by just one score and some by just a point.

Out of 18 League games played, the Quins managed to win 8 losing the other 10 and of 7 friendlies they won 3. Their run in both cup competitions was brief losing 16-6 at home to Bryncoch in the first round of the Welsh Cup and losing 18-16 away to
Llandovery in the first round of the West Wales Cup. There is no mention of a
District `G’ 7’s competition in Keith (Burton) Thomas’ record book which
presumably the Quins did not enter or it did not take place. This is a shame as I’m sure the talent they had in the team would have done well in any 7’s competition.

27th March 1987

Carmarthen Quins 14 pts.,  Loughor 13pts.
(By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal)


In a match that both sides needed to win to ensure another season in Section B it was the Quins who managed to hold on to an early lead and secure both points.

From the opening whistle it was evident that the Quins players realised their aim and went on the offensive. This early pressure kept play up in the Loughor 22 and after 10 minutes they won a serum close to the visitor’s line. Tony Bowen picked up and
found Richard Ratti in support and his powerful surge took him over the line.
Anthony Dragone added the conversion.

The same pressure was kept up and from a line-out 5 yards out, Kevin Bowen picked up and his strength took him over. From the re-start the Quins backs stormed up field and Colin James chipped on and won the race for the touchdown.

Having scored 14 points in as many minutes, it looked as if the Quins had started a rout but to the visitor’s credit, they stuck to the task of trying to claw their way back into the match. The Quins had the wind at their backs but resolute defence by the  visitors kept their line intact and the sides changed round with the Quins 14 points up.

Loughor had chances to get on the score sheet but were off target with 2 penalty attempts and unfortunately for them, their forwards were unable to get the good ball needed to use their backs. Their good use of the high wind kept most of the play in the Quins half and midway through the half the visitors won good second phase ball and quick passing to the left gave centre G. Banfield the chance to cross for a well taken try.

The Quins pack were able to win a good supply of ball and Chris Roberts used the touchline to good effect. With 10 minutes remaining, R. Clarke was on target for Loughor with a penalty and gave his side some hope. They kept play in the Quins 22 and from a scrum near the Quins line, Selwyn Williams broke on the blind side to score. G. Banfield pulled his side back to within a point of the Quins score to keep their spectators on their toes.

The Quins pack were able to keep possession and Richard Ratti was able to control from number 8. The match ended with the Quins attacking and the final whistle
heralded a well-deserved 2 points to the Quins. The Quins were best served by Steve Bryant, Anthony Dragone, Richard Ratti and Colin James.