1960/61 Crynant Home (West Wales Cup replay)

(By Percy Jones)

 SEASON 1960/61
West Wales Rugby Union Cup (Replay)

29th December 1960 

Carmarthen 0  –  Crynant 6 

Carmarthen travelled to Crynant on Thursday December 29th for the replay after a pointless draw the previous Saturday. Carmarthen, by all accounts, should have won the first encounter, but Crynant stole the victory in the replay by snatching six quick points in the last minutes of the replay.

It was a disappointing game, with Carmarthen fielding the stronger pack. Although they played down the steep gradient in the first half, they did not appear to be gaining any appreciable advantage. Throughout the game, Carmarthen forwards never seemed to be putting everything they had into it. This complacency, which has been typical for the greater part of the season, allowed the lighter Crynant eight to hold their opponents.

Crynant had a superior line-up of backs. They were faster and quick to recover, while the Carmarthen threequarters showed an astonishing lack of vitality and vigour, especially during the second half. Despite Carmarthen’s faults, territorially the game was all theirs and both sides had ample opportunities of scoring but they were thrown away extravagantly.

It was a poor day for Brian Isaacs, who landed a brilliant 50 yard kick against Brynamman recently. He failed in six kickable attempts at goal as did policeman Glen Evans (right centre) for Crynant. Keith Lewis, Carmarthen’s inside half, played a fine defensive game, while forwards Clive Jones and Barrie Jackson fought keenly. Crynant full back Meirion Harries was on good form as was the inside half Brian Harries.


Crynant made the opening attacks which took them to the visitor’s line but soon the visitors struck back. Windsor Marks gathered the ball on the half-way line and made a lightening run for the corner, but instead of attempting to go over for a probable try, he cross kicked and the ball was cleared. In the course of the first half, Brian Isaacs (right wing) attempted to kick six penalties, but each kick went wide.

Carmarthen continued to attack after the change-over, but the pressure weakened. Full back Meirion Harries placed some good relieving kicks. In the fifteenth minute, Derrick Lewis, Carmarthen’s left centre received a pass in the centre of the field and accelerated for the line. A short pass to centre Terry Evans sent him running with a man outside him. A flying tackle by Crynant centre John Evans brought him down a yard from the goal line. Ten minutes from the final whistle, Brian Harries dived over for an easy try from a five yard scrum and in the dying moments, left wing Hywel Jones touched down in the corner for a second unconverted try after a threequarter movement went across the field.