A Step Back in Time Report 1958/59 v Trinity College


(By Percy Jones)

 SEASON 1958/59

Wednesday 22nd April 1959 at Carmarthen Park


Carmarthen R.F.C. 9 pts; Trinity College Carmarthen, nil

(By permission of the Carmarthen Journal)

For over 15 years Trinity College have failed to win this local “derby.” At Carmarthen Park on Wednesday night they never looked like winning even with their Welsh international winger Dewi Bebb in the side.

Bebb had few opportunities to show his paces and only once throughout the game did he get the ball from a three-quarter movement. Then he nearly scored after a 40 yard run but was brought down near the corner flag.

The students could find no answer to the powerful play of the Carmarthen forwards and their fast moving three-quarters. Hooker Dai Jones heeled practically every ball from the set scrummages and inside-half Gwyn Davies was more than a match for Joe Thomas, his opposite number. The most dangerous of the Carmarthen back division was Trinity College student Brian Richards. Time and again he side-stepped and weaved his way through the College side only to be brought down inches from the line. Carmarthen included Llanelly’s John Evans in their pack and with Joe Davies and R. H. Davies, proved a little too much for the less experienced College boys.


Prominent among the College eight were local boys Dai Thomas and Johnny Antoniazzi.The College were saved from a heavier defeat by a solid performance by full-back Brian Howell. Howell’s touch finding was faultless and he came near to kicking two long range penalty goals.

It was a game which had plenty of open football and good handling movements, most of which came from Carmarthen Quins. But despite their superiority, they were unable to cross the College line.


Steve Lewis (full-back) put Carmarthen into a ten minute lead when he kicked a 35 yard penalty from a narrow angle. Shortly afterwards, Gwyn Davies increased the lead. Carmarthen heeled from a scrummage on the College “25” and Davies dropped a neat goal

Outside-half Windsor Marks completed the scoring mid-way through the second half when he also dropped a goal after a quick heel.

It was a fine game to watch and a fitting one to bring down the curtain on rugby for another season.