A Step Back in Time Report 1973/74 v Whitland



(By Percy Jones) 

  SEASON 1973 / 74

This was again a mixed season for the Quins. Under the captaincy of Brian Llewellyn they played 33 games, winning 14, losing 16 with 3 drawn. David Dyer ended the season with a total of 11 tries although Malcolm Thomas went one better with  a  total of 12.  Four out of Thomas’ twelve tries were scored in their best display of the season when they won away at Llangennech by 36pts to 3. The Quins drew 9pts – 9 at home against Bynea in the first round of the Welsh Cup and went on to beat them by 24pts to 9 in the replay. They lost 7pts to 6 away to Trinity College in the second round.. In the West Wales Cup competition the Quins beat Swansea Uplands at Swansea by 12pts to 4 in the first round but as happened in the Welsh Cup, they succumbed to Brynamman away by 15pts to 6 in the second round. 


Saturday 8th September 1973

(By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal) 

Carmarthen Quins  13 pts.,     Whitland  10. 

The Quins gave a refreshing display to beat a powerful Whitland outfit which began at tremendous pace and took a deserved lead when full-back Mansel Evans cleaved his way past six players to score a great try which he converted. During a cut and thrust period that followed both lines had narrow escapes. Whitland’s Protheroe showed some neat touches with high hanging kicks and strong bursts while Dyer and Dewi Evans of Carmarthen figured in thrilling runs which ended only yards short of the line.

Whitland showed plenty of determination in the lines-out with Don Howells and Brian Morgan prominent. The Quins drew level in the 30th minute when Brian Furlong split the defence with a strong burst and sent Robert Taylor over in the corner for a glorious try. To cap this resplendent effort, Howard Iles converted with a prodigious kick from the touchline.


Whitland immediately countered but sterling work by the hard tackling Quins kept them at bay. Within 15 minutes of the second half, the Quins struck again when Iles landed a 40 yarder. Then Percy Jones scored a good try following intelligent work by Iles. However, Colin Davies was the biggest threat to the visitors who were frequently caught in two minds by his change of pace and accurate kicking. He was well supported by Furlong who covered every inch of the field with clever runs and bone-crunching tackles.

On two occasions, Dewi Evans was robbed of a deserved try after blistering runs. Each time he was on the receiving end of last ditch tenacious tackles. Whitland’s Tony Bowen came within an ace of scoring after a spectacular run in which he beat three men, but the obstacle provided by Robert Taylor proved one too many.

In the last minute, Whitland scored a try which was a joy to watch. Jeff Evans made the break which was carried on by his centres before the ball was switched back to outside-half Evans who crossed for a superlative try. On balance, however, the Quins just about deserved their success, but the match was played in such entertainingly good spirit that no one would have begrudged Whitland a share of the honours.

Whitland were well served by Howells, Morgan, Richards and Eynon at forward and Williams and Mansel Evans at the back.

For the Quins, Woodhead, Iles and Furlong were tireless workers among the forwards.

Taylor and Dewi Evans were also outstanding but the man of the match must surely be Colin Davies. What a game he had!

The Carmarthen Quins  team:

Roger Evans,  Dewi Thomas,  Robert Taylor,  Percy Jones,  David Dyer,  Emrys Tippett, Colin Davies. Brian Llewellyn (Capt), Brian Furlong,  Chris Howells,  David Woodhead,  Howard Iles,  Glyn Evans,  Wyn Rees,  Robert Wright.