Match Report – Neath RFC 15-38 Carmarthen Quins RFC

Neath  15    Quins  38

The Quins put a frustrating run of matches well and  truly behind them at the Gnoll with a fine bonus point victory and five well taken tries.

The doomed All Blacks in fairness put up a spirited resistance and always looked to move the ball when in possession, but all their efforts  were dented with well drilled Quins tackling. The early minutes set out the pattern for the afternoon as both sides were bent on moving the ball, to the admiration of the decent crowd.

A Neath passing bout was intercepted near the half way to put Dale Ford away on a 50 meter run in under the posts after 10 minutes for Aled Thomas to convert. Almost from the re start the Quins powered up field and after a series of mauls, gained possession for three players  to handle to find Aron Hemmings  free to cross near the posts. Aled Thomas slotted the conversion.

The Quins line out  was back to its competent best taking play up to the 20 minute mark before the All Blacks got into the Quins half and gain  a penalty which Jordan Rees converted. Pressure from the Quins eight took play into the home 22. From a set piece five meters out, the home side expected a Quins push allowing Aron Hemmings to catch them out and he darted away  from the scrum to cross for a clever try, Aled Thomas converted. Richard Bloomfield, back from injury, was having a field day and was supported by Ed  Siggery and Javan Sebastian, giving the home eight little chance of getting out of this stranglehold.

With the second period barely a minute old a clever kick out wide  found space for Jon Bayliss to run on to and go over in the corner only to see the conversion sail well wide. This was answered by Aled Thomas on target with a 44th minute penalty. With a bonus point on the table, the Quins were all out to oblige and after a series of attacks which took play up to the Neath posts  Hemmings switched play to his left and the overlap gave Torin Myhill space to go over in the corner, for the well deserved extra reward, Aled Thomas was on hand with the kick. The All Blacks heads were down and this enabled Aled Thomas to weave his magic and go over for the Quins fifth try and he moved his Match total to 13 with the kick. The Quins were in rampant mood and some exciting running deep into injury time saw Dylan Morgan break away only to see his pass back inside caught by the Neath cover and they started a counter attack which caught the Quins flat footed and result in Callum Hall crossing for a consolation try to end the match.

This performance will no doubt put them in good spirits for the visit of Swansea next Saturday and gain revenge for their unlucky defeat at St Helens early this season. This win puts them 18 points clear of the 5th from bottom Club and ease the relegation threat considerably. So come to the Park next Saturday and spur the boys home

Merthyr 26 20 0 6 756 475 102
Cardiff 25 19 1 5 752 519 95
Llandovery 27 19 1 7 779 479 94
Ebbw Vale 27 18 1 8 624 488 85
Pontypridd 24 17 0 7 812 461 84
Aberavon 25 16 2 7 569 478 78
Newport 28 15 2 11 683 654 78
Swansea 27 15 0 12 604 518 75
Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 25 12 1 12 630 513 71
Carmarthen Quins 28 13 1 14 603 520 71
Llanelli 28 10 1 17 588 689 53
Bedwas 27 10 1 16 591 739 52
Bridgend Ravens 25 8 0 17 501 612 45
Cross Keys 26 5 1 20 528 882 35
Bargoed 26 6 0 20 496 830 32
Neath 26 1 0 25 367 1026 3