Here we go again, but with a great deal more importance on the outcome than we have had for a while. But we have lots to look forward to after a very good preseason under new Head Coach Emyr Phillips and the coaching team.
The playing front has been strengthened by the following senior players:
· Edward Siggery [flanker] – former Quins mini and junior makes the retun home from last seasons champions Merthyr. Ed has won the Welsh Cup and the League numerous times and the hard nosed winning edge will be a great quality to add to the squad.
· Mathew John [wing] – Haverfordwest product ‘Snowy’ has played in the Premiership for Cardiff and been a Bedwas stalwart for the last few years. A strong running winning who will get his share of tries and ensure the scoreboard keeps ticking over.
· Gareth Rees [scrum half] – Ammanford product Rees was a product of the Scarlets age grade system. Currently serving in the Royal Navy, but working locally, Rees will be a real livewire at the base and is a great addition to the group.
· Liam Davies [scrum half] – experienced scrum half Davies a former Scarlet, Osprey and Brive man will add quality to the pool of players fighting for the 9 jersey. The Llangennech based product has a bullet pass and will keep a few opposition backrows in check this year.
· Tom Ball [hooker] – Mynyddygareg product Ball was a Scarlets Academy product who spent last season with Swansea. A very fit hooker who is technically sound and will provide real competition and edge at hooker.
In addition the following players have linked up with the squad for the first time and made an excellent contribution to preseason so far and will feature during the season:
· Carwyn Francis – prop from Carmarthen Athletic
· Robbie Thomas – wing from Carmarthen Athletic
· Daf Jones – backrow from Pontyberem
· Shaun Williams – prop from Hendy
· Curtis Ford – wing from Kidwelly
· Elliot Dawe – wing from Felinfoel
· Rhys Evans – centre from Llandybie
· Guto Davies – backrow from Crymych
· Steff Harries – prop from Crymych
Sincere thanks from all at the club to the coaching staff at the above clubs for working with us to develop these players in the journeys as rugby players.
Our two preseason games versus Tata and Birmingham Moseley have been excellent work outs and our two conditioned training games versus Llandovery and Llanelli have given the boys invaluable experience. We are all looking forward to the coming season with real enthusiasm and the challenge is to build on last seasons challenge where we featured strongly in the run in for the title.
Let’s all get behind the whole group as we look to ensure our club has another successful season which reflects the efforts of the whole club; every club player from mini to senior, every coach in the whole club, every helper, committee man and supporter, lets ensure we all have a season to remember.
I must also on behalf of the first fifteen squad and staff wish the other teams in the club every success for the season, from minis, juniors, youth and girls and womens rugby, have a great season.
Enjoy your rugby!